It’s important to be versatile when you play club hockey and on Saturday an injury in the team meant I tried my hand at playing in defense in a friendly match.
I enjoyed it but am after more information about how to play this position well, so this post will be a work in progress as an when I find information on this.
A good place to start is the England Hockey youtube film that covers general tips on defending.
- LB provides balance and cover when the ball is on the opposite side of the pitch. (Elizabeth Sanders from Field Hockey – Steps for Successs)
- Takes most left side line hits
- Assists or takes deep defensive hits
- Must have good foot speed because the main assignment is to mark the right outside opposition forward.
- Must mark tightly and tackle the ball with strength to prevent right side attacks
- Pass accurately and safely when you win the ball
- Don’t get square to the attacker. See Kate Richardson-Walsh’s tips on defending in another post Kate’s tips on defending
- Defend a short corner.